Thank you for your interest in joining our 5-Step Animal Welfare Rating Standards program.
- The first step is to download our standards and applications to prepare your farm for audit.
- Contact the independent, third-party certification companies* authorized to certify operations to our program to discuss scheduling options, audit fees, and their processes, and then decide** which certifier to contract with and request an application.
- Once you’re ready, submit your application to an authorized certifier.
- The certifier reviews the application and schedules the audit with you.
- Make sure you read the Pilot GAP Policy Manual that goes into effect Monday September 1st, 2014.
- The on-site audit is conducted by an auditor and concludes with an exit interview.
- The auditor submits the audit form and any supplemental material to your certifier.
- Your certifier conducts a compliance review. At this point, the certifier may be in communication with you to get clarification or further information.
- The certifier makes a determination—issuing either a Step certificate or notice of corrective action.
- If corrective action is required, you will need to submit evidence to the certifier that issues have been adequately addressed before a final certification decision is made.
After you have received a Step-rating certificate, contact us to discuss marketing and labeling guidelines.
* As the standard-setter, Global Animal Partnership does not conduct audits or make Step-rating certification decisions. Authorized, independent, third-party certification companies perform the audits and issue Step certificates, as appropriate.
** Global Animal Partnership is not involved in deciding which approved certification company you should contract with.