With the successful completion of our pilot program with Whole Foods Market, the leading natural and organic food retailer, we are engaging with new retail partners, both restaurants and groceries, to:
- help communicate their interest in farm animal welfare to their customers
- support farmers and ranchers in their efforts to put higher welfare into practice and recognize them for their achievements
- expand the marketplace’s offerings with a wider variety of higher welfare products
- and better inform consumers about how the products they choose to buy were produced
As of October 31, 2013, the 5-Step program includes 2,405 operations, raising more than 140 million animals annually, as certified farms and ranches, ranging from Step 1 to Step 5+.
Survey data are clear in their findings:
- concern for the well-being of farm animals is a mainstream issue
- a majority of consumers are willing to pay higher premiums for products sourced from higher welfare farms
- and a company’s commitment to social responsibility, including the treatment of farm animals, has a significant impact on consumer loyalty and support
Global Animal Partnership’s broad, multi-stakeholder scope—with animal producers at one end of the spectrum and animal advocacy organizations at the other, and joined by scientists, retailers, and consumers—is truly novel, as is our multi-tiered 5-Step program.
We believe that engaging with all parties interested in advancing the welfare of farm animals is key to promoting and realizing continuous improvement in animal agriculture, which is of growing interest to consumers around the world.
To learn more about working collaboratively with us, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We look forward to hearing from you and moving forward together.